Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Department Store

Japanese department stores are amazing.  They have everything including a floor devoted entirely to food.  The store opens at 10:30 a.m. and there is a polite sign in the foyer saying so and to please not enter until the appointed time.  It's in English so it is meant for tourists.  Five minutes before the crowd is allowed to enter the doors are opened but the shoppers must still stand in the entrance.  All the clerks gathered on the regal staircase right inside the entrance, dressed in their uniforms and started clapping all together--to rile us all up so we will buy more things.  As the time approaches, the clapping becomes faster until finally a buzzer sounds and the rythmic clapping turns into full blown applause as the crowd rushes through the doors, as much to get into the air conditioning as anything else.
  The clerks then start shouting at customers to come buy what (s)he is selling.  There were lots of sales.  There were 6 full floors and an annex.  I spent most of my time on the food floor looking for lunch.  I was finally persuaded by a little woman to buy some noodles with salad on top.  I also bought a bottle of water, but there was no place to sit down to eat.  The food section was full of everything from prepared meals such as I purchased to fruit stands, ice cream, an Enoteca (like the dt mall) for wine, many sweets and pastry vendors, fish, shrimp, fried things, fresh produce, smoothies--name it, it was there.  I couldn't find a place to sit so eventually I ended up in a fast food pasta shop and got a little bit of pasta with shrimp and a strange cheese on top, and OMG, real iced tea.  No Splenda here, just a little container of some kind of sweet syrup to put in it.  I brought my salad back to my room for later.
  I sat beside a grandmother, two girls and their mother.  The grandmother spoke the best English and we struck up a conversation of sorts.  I told them I had been a teacher and the grandmother reported the girls were 8 and 4, in 2nd grade and kindergarten.  I asked the 8 year old if she liked school, and when she finally understood what I was asking she said no.  All three adults just screeched and laughed in unison.  The little one however likes school.  I gave each of them a quarter and told them they had George Washington, the first president on one side and an eagle on the other.  Also gave the older one a penny with Lincoln and Memorial. It's always good to talk with local people.  No, I didn't start this particular conversation, the grandmother asked me where I am from. 
  I shopped for a bit, looking for some cooking things for Patti back in LA.  But this store was a bit rich for my taste and after a while I headed on back out.  Department stores are good for eating though.

No comments:

Post a Comment